Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Soccer: It's status in the U.S.A

Good Afternoon everyone. Hope you're having a great day. Today I'd like to talk about the great sport of Soccer or how I first learned to say it, futbol. Before I became a complete fan of all sports I was first a fan of soccer. Growing up in a Mexican family that's the only sport worth talking and watching. I watched the FMF mostly but I'm more of an International fan. International soccer is more than just soccer. They're representing a whole country and in this sport that's big. That's why my favorite sporting event is the World Cup. One true champion and everyone else comes in second place. Not literally but you know what I mean. Soccer is the worlds number one sport no doubt about that but, that fact does not apply in the U.S. The Men's national team is improving, and the Women's team is dominating, more and more kids across the States are growing up playing soccer, but it's still not catching on to the overall mainstream of sports that is football, basketball, and baseball. My take on this is very simple. We are spoiled to be able to be a fan of great leagues like the NFL, NBA, MLB, both College football and basketball,  and for some the NHL. We can choose what we want to play or follow. There's also other things like tennis, boxing, golf, etc. Most other countries don't have this and their whole core revolves around soccer. It doesn't help that the media never talks about soccer unless the Men's national team is doing something big. I have never turned on a radio station that has it's topic on the MLS. Sure ESPN carries some MLS games but It's never talked about on the biggest sports show on TV that is Sportscenter. They only talk about it when big names are in the news or if it's the MLS  championship and even then they don't mention it till the end of the show. Any other championship is talked about through the whole show. Its sucks but that's the way it is and I don't see it changing anytime soon. In my opinion the MLS will never catch on to the other leagues because of the reasons I've mentioned and THEY ARE NOT GETTING ANY HELP FROM THE MEDIA! Like I said, I personally love the sport, am not an MLS fan, but I do hope that it gets to a point where we include it with the other sports. Then I might jump on the bandwagon. Thanks for reading. - Ramses Sanchez - @Sportsallday83

No comments:

Post a Comment